THE 9 ESSENTIAL RULES TO UNLEASH HAPPINESS
- Read the Introduction of Living Joy.
- Be aware to what you’ve formed attachments to. Examine your conscience by asking “What circumstantial thing do I think will make me happy? Then, consider confessing becoming too attached to it. And, out loud, surrender it to God in prayer.
- Pray the Litany of Trust, as an act of surrender and rest in the ONE who we should depend on for lasting joy.
- Spend time reading Ephesians and Philippians for insights into Paul’s heart. He wrote these joy filled books during the most miserable time in his life.
- Read chapter 1 of Living Joy on gratitude.
- Count your “gratefuls” each morning. (Start this week by writing down as many as you can think of.)
- Let trials “trigger” your gratitude.
- Say thank you often. And by often, I mean every day, 5 times. (Count it this week. Maybe put a pen mark on each finger, until they’re all tipped with ink!)
- Read Living Joy Rule 2: Practice Silence.
- Stop. Breathe. Think.
- Limit your screen time.
- Push through boredom.
- Take walks.
- Speak truth to yourself.
- Reject your crazy ideals (that rip you down).
- Make self-care a priority and treat yourself.
- Commit to some form of fun for yourself, and with the people you love.
- Get intentional about the fun you’re going to have this week.
- Read Living Joy, Rule 4: Have Fun.
- And have, you know, some REAL fun.
- Read Rule 5 in Living Joy.
- Practice sitting and standing LIKE A BOSS.
- Smile more. (Really…do it!)
- Do an examination of kitchen. Come up with 3 foods you need to get rid of.
- Write down when and where you will exercise, and show up!
- Are you sleeping enough? If not, figure out what you can do to fix it. You matter! Your rest matters!
- Invest time in people.
- Be (rightly) intimate and real with your friendships.
- Let. Stuff. Go.
- Read Rule 6.
- Invest time in people. Claim it out loud. (SERVIAM. “I will serve today.”)
- Do something service-oriented, especially for the poor (Mt. 25). Put it in your planner.
- Give $ away.
- Read Rules 7 and 8.
- Read Rule 9, “Jesus is the Journey”, and the Appendix from Living Joy.
- Watch your email for more great things from Real Life Catholic.
- Stay intentional about your joy. Your faith. Your relationship with Jesus.